Friday, December 29, 2006

2006...The Year That Was...Part Two

So we go on into August and the first day of the season was missed by me (a 2-2 draw at Crewe) because of it clashing with my visit to see "We Will Rock You" in the West End. My first game of the season was a 1-0 win at Gillingham.

Dave's stag do was a highlight of the month as spaceman, magicians and foolish bouncers all contributed to a fantastic day all round.

Elsewhere, the university results day was looming and three years of studying brought a 2:1 result for me which I was delighted with! And more reasons to celebrate of course as we entered into a journey that included a "Southampton Live" festival that we didn't know was even happening and another superb night at the Frog and Frigate. This was also the night that we randomly met some Spanish exchange students who invited us, incredibly, back to my old halls for a "party" that involved popular Spanish songs and magic tricks. The long walk home took over an hour but it didn't seem to matter!

My birthday in September was less hectic than last year's 21st party , with a quiet Chinese meal (rather than one of those loud Chinese meals!) and a couple of drinks with the family.

The main event of the month was of course the wedding of two of my best friends as Dave and Marti were married in a brilliantly planned day and night. It also gave us the chance to sample the tea and coffee making facilities of the Travel Inn of Didcot South and to visit Sutton Scotney.

The Cobblers were hanging on in mid table and a trip to Bournemouth in October helped us to discover that chavs rule the beach side after 10pm and that Bar:Me is completely banned from any later trips to this particular town. Also in October was the return of Dave and Marti to Southampton and a day out in Brighton for one of the dullest games of the year.

November was the month we were all waiting for and on the 22nd, we finally graduated after a six month wait to don the cap and gown and to make a film of the week that shows off our complete randomness. The whole week was fantastic from the emotional quiz on the Monday, the ceremony on Wednesday, a buffet and a trip to Reflex in the evening and the Graduation Ball on Saturday!

December has been a cracking month as well to round off the year. Well, outside The Cobblers anyway! The performances on the pitch had been awful, we were dumped out of the FA Cup by Barnet and John Gorman resigned. We still search for a new boss.

And so as 2006 ends, I look back with fond memories of a year that's given me so much more than I could hve expected when I woke up in Edinburgh on January 1st. I have a group of friends in Southampton that I know I will be around forever, my passion for writing hasn't gone and Northampton Town are still above the League One drop Zone.

So bring on 2007. I have no idea where next year will take me and that suits me! It's going to take a hell of a lot to beat the year that was 2006 though!

1 comment:

James Farrier said...

Tenacious D were called upon to play the best song in the world.

Instead,we produced the greatest year in the world - The Class Of 06 will never be forgotten!