Thursday, October 11, 2007

Gig Review: Athlete (Southampton Guildhall)

While No Saints were battling to that third win in a row, I was being taken back in time, aching lots and enjoying the sounds of the first band I “discovered” before they hit the mainstream many moons ago!

Back in my school days I was recommended a band by a friend and with no downloading available back then, I went out and brought Athlete’s fist CD release, El Salvador. I liked what I heard and got a hold of their album Vehicles and Animals as soon as I could. The album still holds good memories for me and last nights’ gig brought back visions of school days and college in a time where music was becoming more and more important in my life as a route away from the daily grind of student life.

It was perhaps my nostalgia getting the better of me but throughout the 90 minute set that Athlete played I was more excited when the band played their old stuff with Shake Those Windows, Beautiful and You Got The Style a welcome nod to their breakthrough album.

Playing songs from all three albums, including the latest Beyond The Neighbourhood release, Athlete showed real knowledge of what their audience would want and mixed their set list well. Highlights included the stand-out Half Light and Wires plus the single Hurricane that really set the crowd alight.

The audience were in full voice throughout and created a fine atmosphere inside Southampton Guildhall, crammed to capacity, and ended with a superb encore of Twenty Four Hours.

Overall it was what I expected from a band that I had wanted to see for a long time. Understandably they geared a little toward their new album and although it’s solid in itself, I still found myself liking their older stuff. I feel very old this morning having realised I’ve just seen a band where I know most of the songs they played from three albums and ache from standing for so long!

So it was nostalgia that won the day for me and the gig left me feel both sadness that those carefree days when I first listened to the band are over but also looking at all the things I’ve done since then and realising how crazy it’s been since I first lent me ears to El Salvador (disappointed this wasn’t played last night by the way!). I still recommend Beyond The Neighbourhood though and I certainly think it’s worth a purchase if you get the chance.

Next up on my gig radar is The Kaiser Chiefs in December though we’re hoping to get to the Joiners here in Southampton sometime soon as well!

No comments: