Monday, March 05, 2007

Northampton welcomes those from the Southern Extremitites!

As the Cobblers were being beaten in Bristol, me and four of my great friends from Southampton were slowly headed up to Northampton on the latest of our many road trips. The occasion this time was my Dad's 50th birthday party and the guest list included Dave, Marti, Jamie and Annamaria so it was a grand excuse for a random trip!

We set out early and planned a couple of stops en route, firstly stopping to visit Marti's lovely parents who provided us with juice and biscuits and then heading into Newbury to sample "Rio's", one of the best burger venues you're likely to visit. That feed filled us up and we were off on our merry way, only stopping to admire some quite bizarre graffiti in the car park. Someone had scrawled the insult of "Cake Unit" on another person's car...an insult that we repeated throughout the journey!

Time in the car was spent playing the "Mini and Yellow Car game", where if you spot a Mini or a yellow car (moving on the road, parked doesn't count) you shout it out and the last person to shout it gets a punch from all the others...it's great fun, you should try it...just don't punch the driver too hard, Marti nearly ran over a puppy after Dave cleverly spotted a passing yellow mini near the lift tower.

As soon as we arrived in Northampton the heavens opened, much like the ill fated trip to the Cobblers' home game with Millwall (the first one) back in December. After a quick tea and cakes at my parent's house we headed to the hotel. Yes, although I am from Northampton, my parent's bungalow was full for the night so I was having to go to a hotel too! But it was a lot of fun and the hotel was cool, including the obligatory tea and coffee making facilities so we were happy.

The party began at 7pm and we found a table near the dance floor and the rest of the night was spent dancing, eating food from the brilliant buffet and chatting to people I hadn't seen for quite a long time. Marti had the idea to order tequila shots and after that all I remember was dancing badly and the "Ooops upside your head" rowing dance! We did also get a call from Ti to remind us that there was an eclipse on that night so we left my family very confused by rushing outside at 10pm to look into the sky and see the red moon!

Overall a top night was had, rounded off by tea in my room and me falling off the bed to comedic effect. For a better view of what went on, take a look at Jamie's video diary that he's placed on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw0MWas0dcU

These road trips are getting more and more frequent and it's fantastic to be packing up and getting away with my best friends all the time. I was at first scared of the post-university life, wondering whether things would ever be the same again but I'm pretty sure they're even better now!

Good times!

No comments: