Sunday, September 24, 2006

Millwall 0-1 Northampton Town

Cracking day out once again as we picked up three vital points.My day began early on with my traditional Saturday fry up before heading off the train at 11am. I was decked out in my Cobblers shirt after debating with myself whether to wear it or not. A lot of people were surprised to see me wearing it in the middle of the angry Millwall fans but I figured that I don't attract trouble anywhere so I'd be fine. I was right and apart from a few "w*nker" signs from people on the train, I was fine!After a quick change at Waterloo, I was at South Bermondsey by 1pm and met up with the guys (and girl) from Sixfields Boys and we headed for the New Den down the seperate walkway for away fans. There was more police than away fans when we got there but most of the home fans that were there as early as us were no trouble at all.

We enjoyed some chips and a couple of beers in the ground while watching the second half of Liverpool-Spurs on the tv screens before the game and then went to our seats with a great view of the game from behind the goal. The New Den was a new ground for me and I found the facilities to be top draw. There was a group of home fans in the stand next to ours that contained the main "singing" section though it was more shouting and abuse than anything! With every song, they punched their fists in our direction and looked as angry as Rik Waller being told he can't have dessert!

On the pitch and the Cobblers were facing a tough start to the game and only created one half chance in the early going when Pedj Bojic looked to be brought down in the area but nothing was given. Millwall's approach was fairly direct but the awesome Sean Dyche, returning to his former club, stopped anything and everything that was thrown his way. The home side's first chance was headed off the line by Jason Crowe as they started the better side.Chris Doig went down with a head injury mid way through the half meaning that we played a lot of the first half with ten me as he left the field for stitches. Upon his return, the Cobblers took the lead. Eoin Jess played in a deep cross from the right and the bounce deceived a home defender before loanee Mitchell Cole took advantage and slammed the ball past Pidgely to give us a half time lead.

In the second half, the home fans were getting agitated and chants of "SH*T, SH*T, SH*T" rang around the Den. Andy Kirk and Ian Taylor went close for us but the last period of the game was dominated by Millwall who got a number of corners but a combination of Mark Bunn saves and superb rearguard action prevented them from getting back into the game.The game ended to jeers from the home fans but celebrations in the away end. Luke Chambers punched the air and again celebrated like we'd won the league while John Gorman did the same.It was only when I was on my own when I really felt the presence of the home fans after the game.

I changed trains at London Bridge and the Cobblers fans all headed back in a different direction. I realised I was walking along a train station walkway with hundreds of angry Millwall fans and me in a Cobblers shirt."Keep walking and don't look too happy" I kept telling myself. It worked and I escaped despite a group of chavs looking my way with menace in their eyes!I was back home by 7 and another great day out as the Cobblers continues with their superb away form.

Next up, Cheltenham away on Tuesday night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beleive it was 0 - 1 not 1 - 1

Danny Brothers said...

Good spot...Don't know what I was doing there-I'm not used to this winning lark!